Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Weekend Update with Me

No Lily hasn't gotten her glasses yet. I, my friends, probably look like what I can only assume what a chicken with it's head cut off looks like. I can't keep up and I would love to just give you a glimpse of how my weekend was only because everyone I know on a personal level basically just likes to tell me where in the dictionary I can find sympathy. I thought I would reach out further to you all for some "oh poor you".
So Friday was fun. Good wholesome family night at Peter Piper Pizza with dear friends for a birthday party. Go to bed at a decent time. Life is grand.
6:45am on Saturday my alarm was supposed to go off, but no my blackberry decided it was time to need a reset that I needed to confirm and nothing else can happen until I confirm that, so at 7:15am when I wake up I see sun and I know I am not supposed to see sun, I rip off the blankets, grab my phone, yell at it and it's stupid reset and run like a chicken to get all three kids dressed, fed and out the door by 7:40 am for Andi Jane's first basketball game. Where was their father? At his 6am bible study at church otherwise known as "fight club". I get everyone to the church (that is where they play, we're southern like that, we prefer all activities to be held within church with church folk)(I seriously hope people understand my sense of humor) at 7:50am just like I am supposed to. But I will admit, attitude not so cute. Then the game starts and my little girl is the only girl on her team (when I read the rooster I emailed the coach to make sure that he indeed knew Andi was a girl) and not only the only girl but a head taller than the rest. And not too bad if I don't say so myself. She had only had two practices prior and home girl can hustle! My inner tiger came out on that sideline and I quickly got out of my grumpy mood. It was so fun to watch! I'm pretty determined from now on like it or not Andi will play basketball just like her mama and she will go places I never did. I'm kidding. Sort of.
So after basketball, they kicked butt (they don't keep score, but I did ;), the kids and I headed over to watch my beautiful 13 year old niece in her gymnastics meet which kinda choked me up. She is a level 7 and pretty amazing if you ask me. She looked so beautiful and scored 1st over all! Oli was hilarious as he sat in his stroller just staring at all the girls running by in shiny suits. The kids were good considering we were there a couple hours. Where was their dad you ask? Working on a motorcycle he paid $500 for a shell of a 1972 Harley for. His intention is to custom build it and auction it off at the LilyAnna Blu Poker run for CDKL5 in August in South Dakota during Sturgis week. You all coming? Believe me more to come.
So then lunch with the family. Home. Then guess what I do. I shower and go to work at 4pm. Yup all day full time duty with kids then work all night.
And this wasn't just a typical Saturday night, it was play offs at a sports bar and freaking Green Bay was playing and holy crap if there isn't a huge following for Green Bay here in the sunny state of AZ. The place was packed! And we only had 3 servers. It was banana's! Here are a few comments I got that night "that's ok, you'll do better next time", "is there gonna be a shift change soon?", "you were great!", oh did I mention I slipped on a piece of ice? Like fell on the ground? Oh did I mention my period came two days early? And I didn't get cut until midnight?! I was in near tears several times. Did I mention my head cold I got days earlier that was still hanging around? No. Oh.
I came home to a sick husband and a very large 5 year old in my bed. And I was up at 7am to start my day. Get the kids ready for church alone. Where was their father you may ask? Throwing up everything except for his liver. He was sick as a dog but I was NOT missing church because Matt Hammitt from the band Santus Real was going to be speaking and singing and nothing was keeping me from church. I got to church albeit a bit grumpy, but man it was a good service! So good! Then lunch with the family and home to sick daddy whom I thought was going to die. And the scary thing was I had to work again that night 5pm - close. I took care of everything before I left but I felt awful to leave him with all three. But they managed and that night was not nearly as busy and I was the only girl working 7pm-midnight. I came home and crashed like I was sleeping beauty who just ate an apple or was that snow white?
And thank the Lord it was a holiday and no one woke up, or rather I didn't hear anyone until 8am. And then spent the day cleaning and putting together a piece of Ikea furniture that I had been waiting for Andrew to put together for a month now. It was a toy storage thingy for Oli's room and much needed so I finally just went to town on it with all the kids home. Something I now know was a poor choice. "Mom look! If you rub the Styrofoam together it looks like snow!" Oli found that playing on the slick boards was just like surfing and let's not forget how fun it is to open the bag of just enough screws and little wood pegs and make it rain with them. Oh and then turning the half way done shelf into a train. Yes, it was a fun day. Then I took all 3 to chic fila so we could get out of daddy's sick hair (or rather we could refrain from breathing his air) then we got home put Oli down for a nap and the girls and I went for a walk to Walgreens, which strangely seems a whole lot closer to home when I am driving. Then this family of 5 all crashed before 9pm like we ate a poisonous apple, again.
Today is Tuesday and I ran out of gas on the way to drop Oli off at my mom's (who watches him when I work), but God's grace protected me as I literally coasted from down the road and turned (power steering gone on a full size van) into my parents driveway. And of course my dad the eternal boy scout had a gallon of gas for me and my mom let me borrow her car to come to work. And that was how this weekend ended.
So when I say I know 2011 is gonna be a good year, I don't mean rainbows and glitter, it is how I take all the crap that is handed to us. Was I crabby parts of my weekend? Yes! Did I cry parts of my weekend? Yes! (hello my period started) But the awesome thing is I am fine. I can even joke about it and even when I called Andrew to tell him all the things he was doing wrong (which was irrational and not even true (hello my period??) and before he got sick, I'm not that mean) he didn't get on defense, he calmly spoke to me and we discussed it and resolved it. Prior to our life changing year I would have called and yelled and he would have yelled back and the thing would have snowballed and gotten out of hand. All for an unnecessary reason. So yes this year may suck even more than last year, look at all the tragedies already have taken place! But it is how we handle it now that will change and make the year seem better even if the circumstances suck.
I hope I didn't promise a short update. This post was about as long as my weekend was but that is ok, wanna know why? Because this is my blog. :) cheers.

And my humble quiet side wants to say thanks for allowing me to share my vulnerable heart with my last post. I had been working on the piece for a long time. I had wanted to post what happened but I just couldn't do it in a way that would be like airing out my dirty laundry. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what happened in our marriage, but those details really aren't for anyone, but us. But sharing how we hit rock bottom and it didn't have to break us was something I wanted to share. Marriage isn't happily ever after and there were times it would have been easier on both of us to just walk away, but our children deserve so much more and frankly so do we. So we are moving forward and making changes and living a life God had intended us to do since the beginning, it is just too bad he had to hit us with a 2x4 to finally open our eyes. But our eyes are open now and we are looking forward.

No comments:

Popular Posts